The world is becoming more and more digital each year; more businesses are selling online, more people have social media accounts, more people work remotely, etc.
So, if you do not have a presence in this vast, online, global space, you are likely missing out on customers!
Sure, you can get by with only having a Facebook page as your online presence, and this works for some businesses, but most businesses can benefit greatly from having a website as well – we discuss why here.
Even if you’re not selling online, most people will look online before buying a product, paying for a service, choosing a restaurant for food, the list goes on – you need to be online to be in the game. Not convinced? Just watch how your friends, neighbours, spouse, kids, family, cousins, nieces and nephews, use the internetb
Good question. We’re upfront about the fact that not everyone needs to pay someone else to make their website – but in our experiences, this is the best bet for most businesses:
- Even though there are a number of great do-it-yourself website builders (Wix, Weebly, Shopify, Squarespace, etc), you still need to have a good grasp on typography, design practices for the web, how to structure information to make it easy to read and find – the list goes on.
- You’re a busy business owner; you’re probably better off spending your time working on making your customers happy, and letting us make a masterpiece of a website for you.
- A poorly done website can do more damage than good; despite the advice, people do judge a book by its cover; if your website looks bad or doesn’t work well, potential customers may assume the same about your products and/or services?
Another good question – you’re good at these! There are tens of thousands of web designers around the world, from teenagers in their bedrooms (that’s where we started) to world-famous design agencies (that’s where we’re headed).
So why choose us?
- We deliver great results at an affordable price. We do this full time, are passionate about our work, and deliver excellent results, but our bill won’t break your bank account (our fee for a new website is typically between €1,500 and €4,500, depending on functionality and design).
- We are a group of young professionals who grew up in this new online world; we live and breath the internet and know exactly how to use it to improve your business. That’s because we use it everyday to improve our own business. All of our team use the internet to work remotely, and a few of us replaced college with the internet. And of course, we’ve used the internet to carve out our own place in the world of commerce, doing exactly what we love.
- We are a small team of 5 – you will get to know and work with us personally. This isn’t a big corporate machine that you’ll simply become another figure in. And we aspire to become a great company that stays small.
- We are passionate about what we do. That’s a line that’s used a lot, but we really do get our kicks from solving problems, coming up with great designs, and using the internet to better both our business and yours. Running your own business can be tough, and much of our motivation to overcome problems comes from the fact that we enjoy what we do.
The Trading Online Voucher is offered by all Local Enterprise Offices in Ireland. It can be used to build a new website or upgrade an existing one, and there is a list of criteria you must meet including having some sort of payment system added to your new/existing website
If accepted, you can avail of a grant of up to €2,500, to cover 90% of the fee for
- Building a new website that includes some for of payment (booking appointments and/or services, selling products online.
- Digital marketing
- Digital ads budget (max 30% of other costs)
- Photography & videography (max 80% of other costs)
We have experience building new websites & upgrading existing ones via this voucher, we’re happy to help you apply for it too, just get in touch with us!
Web Hosting & Website Addresses
A website is made up of code running on a computer, plus media like photos and videos.
In order for your website to be accessible 24/7, and to load quickly, it needs to be on a special computer called a server that is dedicated to storing, or ‘hosting’ websites.
A web hosting company sells you space on their servers, and this is where we place, or ‘host’ your website when it is finished. You are paying for the ability for your website to load fast, and be accessible at any time and from anywhere in the world.
But all you really need to know is what it’s going to cost you – usually €60 to €100 a year. Included in all of our website creation quotes is the work required to set up this hosting with your website on it; all you need to do is give us your debit or credit card details to pay for the service, either monthly or annually.
You are free to choose your own hosting company, however we advise all of our Irish clients to use Hosting Ireland, and our international clients to use Namecheap; both companies provide great value and excellent customer support.
Once this is paid for, you no longer have to worry about it.
Web hosting is also capable of providing you with email accounts, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, however we advise our clients to use GSuite (Google fr Business) as their tools for email are much better.
Typically, there are only two recurring costs involved in a website built by us; this web hosting is one, and the other is your website address.
A website address, also known as a web address, web domain, site address, or just domain, is what people type into a web browser to get to your website.
Ours is propellerdigital.ie
Website addresses are unique; there is only one propellerdigital.ie, and we own it.
All of the pages in your website will be based off the website address, e.g. your contact page might be ‘propellerdigital.ie/contact’
A website address is both the name of your website, as well as the online/digital address of your website.
Your website address is also used for your emails, e.g. email@example.com
A website address is paid for annually, and the price depends on what the ending of it is;
A .com domain typically costs about €12 a year, and a .ie domain costs about €35 a year.
There are two parts to a domain, the Domain and the Top Level Domain (TLD).
The Domain can be anything you want as long as no-one else owns it with a particular TLD. The TLD is limited to a selection of endings that have different costs. So someone might own yourbusiness.com, but no one might own yourbusiness.ie, so you can buy the .ie version of the domain.
You can have the same X with two different Y’s, e.g.
And both of these can bring people to the same website, you just have to pick one of them to be the primary domain.